1) What is the longest book you ever read?
Probably Stephen King’s The Stand. But to be honest, the writing style of the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy made each of those books seem to be three times as long as The Stand.
2) What was (or is) your favorite ’80s movie?
I’d say it’s a toss-up between E.T. and Back to the Future.
3) What is something unexpected that has changed about you in the last few years?
I don’t react very well to stress.
Last Saturday it was sunny, breezy, and warm enough that hoodies weren’t needed during the afternoon hours.
Last Sunday it was sunny and warm enough that none of us wore hoodies, the kids wore shorts, and staying hydrated and not getting sunburned were a concern while we were at a playground.
On Monday the kids wore shorts to school. And while I was editing content for a website that makes it easy to print postcards in nyc, I had the window open in the bedroom because it was just too stuffy in here to not let in some fresh air.
Today? Today there is SNOW on the damn ground. And my hands feel like icicles. What gives, Mother Nature? Please bring spring back! It has been a very long, drawn out winter, but enough is enough. It is literally the middle of April, which means ’tis the season for rain showers, not snow showers!
Interestingly, we have 13+ pets in our house, so here you go:
- Leah: my almost six year old Pug
- Blueboy: (who’s in my lap as I type this) fourteen year old Persian cat
- Kirin: almost eight year old Siamese/DSH cat
- Fritzy: almost seven year old Persian cat
- Minerva: three year old DSH cat
- Felix: 6ish year old FIV+ cat (former stray)
- Titanium: 1ish year old FIV+ cat (rescue)
- Princeton: Betta fish
- Ash: Mollie fish
- Cynder: Alyssa’s 2 year old red-tailed Boa Constrictor
- Dash: Ryan’s 2 year old Russian Tortoise
- Tetras #1, #2, #3: Alyssa’s three Tetra fish
- SNAILAPALOOZA: Alyssa’s original snail figured out how to reproduce on her own, and now we have several dozen of them
This year’s winter was an especially long one. And even now, it’s still holding on, though spring has beaten it back to just the late-night and early-morning hours. Today’s high should reach 70 degrees, but I’m running a space heater on high (and aimed directly at me, whee) due to it being chilly in our house. Dan turned off our furnace on April 1st, even though we both knew there’d be a few more chilly days. But, better to have enough propane to cook and bake all summer long than to have just enough to provide a week’s worth of heat. So, that’s that.
Ryan brought me this flower the other day. It was in a glass of water on my desk; now it’s adorning Orzo’s grave in our backyard. But with the warm weather continuing, we’ll soon have many more flowers popping up – so there will be plenty to give to Orzo and to keep on my desk. I could use some pretty things on my desk. They’re a nice accompaniment to my work, whether it be writing articles for Textbroker, or checking out the list of best game cameras here in order to write a comparison shopping guide. I’ve been doing a lot of writing lately, but while the topics can sometimes be monotonousness, I still do fairly well.
With spring here the sprogs have been antsy about going out to parks and playgrounds, so I’m shifting the majority of my work schedule to the morning. Getting up a bit earlier kind of sucks, but being free to do things with the kids in the afternoon and evening makes it well worth the 6:30am alarm clock.
Curious as a Cat: Week #412
1) When was the last time you had a dream? What was it about?
Last night I dreamed that Dan and I won free tickets to an amusement park. There was just one problem – the amusement park was in Germany. Still, we managed to get there. But then we had issues with buying food and hygiene products at a grocery store, because the debit/credit card readers couldn’t convert our USD currency to their currency. Then there was some weirdness involving a tollbooth, but then I woke up, so I have no idea how that would have panned out.
2) Did you have a collection of some kind as a child? If so, what was it?
For a while I had a small collection of Troll dolls. Overall though, I’ve never been the collector type – unless cats and nail polishes count.
3) What was the worst concert you went to (who and when)?
N/A. I’ve been to a handful of concerts (Indigo Girls, Maroon 5, Justin Timberlake & Jay-Z), and they’ve all been decent.